Monday, May 16, 2011

Yay or Nay? Running=Fun

Yesterday I completed my first 5k run. As a typically sedentary person, it is a pretty big accomplishment for me - from the process of training for the run (thanks Couchto5k!) and actually completing it!

Throughout the past month or so, my view of the run has been: 'I just have to do this one 5k, and then I'll never have to run again!'
But on the days leading up to the run, I started thinking about maybe doing a 10k at some point...then perhaps a half-marathon, and maybe even a full marathon in a few years.

One of the friends who I did the 5k with is now talking about signing up to do another 5k in June and/or September. And I'm conflicted about whether to join her or not.
On the one hand, I don't consider myself a 'runner', and I do enjoy being sedentary and lazy.

But on the other hand, there is something to say about setting a goal, and actually meeting it. If nothing else, this experience has shown me that I can do things that I didn't think were possible. (When I started, I struggled to jog for more than a minute without being terribly winded.)

And, if I'm being completely honest with myself, I do enjoy evening runs - uploading some new podcasts to my iPod and then listening to them while I jog through the neighborhood...

So I guess that's my answer.
Yes, running=fun.

1 comment:

  1. i'm impressed! now you can play ultimate frisbee with me! :)

    ReplyDelete