Sunday, May 15, 2011

Long Live Documentaries!


Those who know me, know that I love documentaries.  So when I decided to add more fun into my life, I knew that HotDocs would somehow be included.

(HotDocs is North America’s largest documentary film festival, and it happens each year in Toronto, Ontario!)

This year was my first time participating in HotDocs – usually I become ‘aware’ of it too late, and am disappointed. This year though, I was completely on the ball, and enrolled friends to experience the docs with me.

Within the week of the festival, I ended up watching six full-length docs and three shorts, and I attended two panel discussions.

By far, the best part of the festival was the interaction with the directors after the screening. For the majority of the screenings, the directors were on-hand for Q&A after the films. This adds so much more depth and context to the films!

All the films I watched were great, each in their own way. Grande Hotel was one of my favourites. The cinematography was stunning, and the subject matter is fascinating.
The short that screened with Grande Hotel was also really unique: “Goodbye Mandima”.

 Overall, HotDocs was a blast! I can't wait to do it all again next year :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment