Friday, July 29, 2011

Want a Change? Just Do It!

(photo (c) Xandert)

Earlier this year, I was chatting with a friend about my desire for change in my life, and she described me as being 'restless'.
And she's completely right!

I've since embraced my restlessness, and am running with it!

As I write this, I'm sitting in my half-empty apartment, surveying the items that I still need to pack.

Back in the Spring, I was apartment hunting, but because I had to give 60 days notice for terminating my lease, I was having major difficulties finding a new apartment that was available in 60+ days.

The solution?

1. End my lease.
2. Chill for a bit. (30 days)
3. Then start looking for a new place!

Thankfully, it all worked out splendidly. My new apartment is in The Danforth (which everyone keeps telling me is an amazing neighbourhood), and it has most of the key features I was looking for.

One of the benefits of 'forcing' change, is that it makes life more exciting! Rather than the predictability of structure and planning, this method creates an unknown element which is fun to live within.
During the month where I was chilling, I was able to dream about the future. Who knows where I'll end up! Downtown? North York? Port Credit? The west-end? The east-end?
(I should mention, one of the keys to this approach is that I wasn't too stressed about the situation. My Plan B for if I didn't find a place was that I would move back in with my parents. So it's not like I was facing homelessness or anything serious.)

The other fun aspect of this approach is the punch!
You know when you make unplanned decisions, you often need to roll with the punches that arise?

In my situation, the punch was that my new apartment's move-in date doesn't aligned perfectly with my current apartment's move-out date. So I'm moving in with my parents for a little bit.
This means, storage facility, commuting, two moves, living out of a suitcase, and other things.

But again, this kind of adds some extra flavour to life.
I think of it as lime zest.

tangy.

The moral of the story is: If you want a change in your life, just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment