Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Dear Stranger, You're awesome!


It's time to write some fan mail to strangers!

Over the past week or so I've been impressed by some strangers/acquantances who have really pleasant and welcoming 'spirits'.
You know those people who just draw you in, and sort of emit sunshine?

I've decided to let them know.
(Now,  there's fan mail to podcasters or celebrities, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about super random fan mail for regular people who aren't particularly putting themselves in the spotlight.)

I wrote my first "you're great!" email last night to a couple I met briefly while apartment-hunting. (Bonus: the couple is currently living in my new home. Good vibes all around!)

There is a little hesitation on my part, cause who knows how I'll be interpreted, or misinterpreted (i.e. presumed hidden agendas), but I'd say it's definitely worth the risk.

Here are a few components to consider including in the email:
  • Who are you (If the person is truly a stranger, it's likely that they may have forgotten your interaction with them. Jog their memory!)
  • Describe what is special about them
  • Explain how they impacted your day/life
Also, try not to sound like a stalker or crazy person.

Happy writing!

4 comments:

  1. You should provide some examples of under the category of stalker. Like, instead of saying "The way you organized your books on the shelf is very useful and I really enjoyed it," you should say, "your apartment was rad. Where'd you get that bookshelf?"
    Unless, you're really good at not sounding like a stalker, which I am not. Clearly.
    (in case you didn't realise, this is Hana)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Hana, it sounds like you have some experience with this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea! :)

    Would love to read a follow-up post about this! ... where you post ppl's reactions - if you get any. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm... that would be interesting!

    will do!!

    ReplyDelete