Sunday, June 19, 2011

How to Enjoy Yourself in Toronto

Last weekend a friend of mine came to visit me in T.O and I was given the challenge to provide her with an exciting classic Toronto weekend.

As someone who doesn't particularly enjoy planning (I prefer the 'go with the flow' method), I struggled to come up with a timeline of activities for the few days.

In the end, I only had one timed item on the list of activities. However, as is usually the case, we had a great time! We wandered around the city and enjoyed some of my favourite Torontonian things.

1. Luminato: "Habit"
This was my first time taking part in the 'Free Creativity' festival.

We went to OCAD on Saturday morning to view a play called "Habit". A description from the Luminato website:
"Three actors inhabit a house for eight hours a day, spontaneously going about their business while seamlessly repeating a script....as you watch through the windows of ... a fully-functioning house, constructed inside the project space...  Habit raises fascinating questions about the nature of performance, spectatorship, and even reality itself."
It was pretty hardcore. Brilliant concept. Uncomfortable script / subject matter.

2. Starbucks
Yes, I'm including this on the list. My beverage was made just the way I like it. And it made me happy.

3. AGO giftshop
I love browsing through the AGO Store. This is where I bought my latest gadget!



4. Burrito Boyz
Arguably the best burritos in town.
We popped by the Adelaide location and took our burritos to go.

5. 401 Richmond Roof-Top Patio.
My first time to this patio.
 
It's smaller than I envisioned, but it has a great 'community' feel.
 
I imagine that all the creatives in the building pitch-in and make the space comfortable and clean.

6. 401 Richmond 
After munching on burritos on the patio, we wandered around the building. I love this space. I should go there more often. The building itself is fantastic, as are the tenants. We wandered around the design book store and art gallery.

and I was enthralled with the washroom.




brilliant.

7. NFB Mediatheque
To give our feet a rest, we headed to the NFB to watch some free films.
We ended up watching Nadia's Journey. A film about the experience of women living in Algeria. It's an eye-opener for sure. And really sad.



8. 7 West Cafe
After coming back home and watching the Oprah DVD, we headed out to XocoCava for some after-dinner ice cream. Unfortunately though, they close at 10pm. ...Where do you go when everywhere is closed? 7 West of course!
7 West is one of my favourite spots. I'm a tad bit obsessed. We were there for a few hours and then headed back home.

Day 2 involved visiting a small community church in my neighbourhood, having lunch at a local park, and window shopping along Yonge St. We also stopped by an art store and I bought myself a huge canvas to make my next painting  (stay tuned for the final piece!)


So how do you enjoy yourself in Toronto? Wander around, take the subway, explore, go through open doors, eat, stay up late, and most importantly, do it all in the company of a friend.

3 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC! love everything here. can i sign up for one of your tours? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, yes! Features include: mindless wandering, at least one Starbucks visit, and sunshine.

    Actually, it would be interesting to do a set of weekends that include like specific details that can't be repeated like: live show, documentary, artisan shop, patio, coffee shop, burritos. hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. again, FANTASTIC! seriously. let's do it when we carpool in August! :D

    ReplyDelete