Saturday, June 11, 2011

A big bowl of vegetarian fun!

I cooked something....yummy!

I have this chronic condition where I spend hours in the kitchen making a meal for myself which ends up tasting horrible.
it's a problem. (...which could easily be fixed with a couple cooking classes, but that's besides the point!)

Well, my new vegetarian ways have prompted me to take on this challenge head-on.
armed with some tips, a cookbook, and some (correct) fresh ingredients, I now have a signature dish, which I absolutely love.
(wait, does 'signature' mean that I created it? ...cause I'm pretty sure I didn't make this up myself...)

I haven't thought of a name for it yet. For now I'll call it, Big Bowl of Vegetarian Fun.
 Ingredients: 
  • 2cups chopped peppers
  • some chopped green onions (what's the other name for those? ... oh yes, it's "scallions")
  • 2/3 cups Italian-flavoured veggie ground round
  • 2 7-inch torillas
  • 2 dollops of sour cream (fat-free will do the trick!)
  • spray oil

Kitchen appliances:
  • stove-top
  • oven (microwave oven will suffice!)

Other stuff you'll need:
  • Food scissors will come in handy
  • chopping knife
  • cutting board
  • a third-cup measure
  • cookie sheet for the oven 
  • skillet

Directions
Step 1: preheat the oven to 350
Step 2: cut up the tortillas into little triangles, put them on the cookie sheet, spray some oil on them, and pop them into the oven (they'll be in there for 15 or so minutes....until crispy!)
Step 3: spray some oil in the skillet and turn it on to medium/low heat
Step 4: cut up the peppers and green onions and throw them in the skillet
Step 5: (about 5 minutes later) add the veggie ground round and mix it up!
Step 6: cook for another few minutes then turn off the heat.
Step 7: The tortilla chips are done! Remove from the cookie sheet and place them in a bowl.
Step 8: Remove the big bowl mixture from the skillet... and place it in a big bowl.... add the sour cream on top of the mound.
Step 9: Enjoy! healthy vegetarian goodness... and chips!!
Step 10: uh.. there isn't anything else to say here. I just couldn't leave it at 9 steps... 


I'd say, this recipe serves 1.5people. ...or one hungry person. (I eat it all myself.)

Also, I add some cherry tomatoes sometimes.
And if I feel fancy, I may sprinkle some dill on the tortilla pieces before popping them in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment