Friday, July 15, 2011

The best cheese in Toronto?

I went to the Obika Mozzarella Bar last night.


1. Silly name. It most definitely sounds like a sushi bar. (And look at the logo!!) They're trying to capitalize on the sushi bar trend. But I say, if your restaurant is built around cheese, you don't actually need to capitalize on anything. A cheese-focused restaurant is a brilliant idea. I shall call it 'Cheeseland' from now on. However, I will hand it to them, the odd name stuck in my head the instant I heard it. It could be that I was attracted to the concept of a mozzarella bar, or it could be that they were clever in their name choice. ...perhaps it's a bit of both.



2. Mozzarella bar!! There's something wrong and so so right about this concept. I was pretty excited about it, and Cheeseland did not disappoint. They have three signature cheeses and we tried two of them. First was  the cheese that is described as "deliciously creamy". And it was.
Next was their 'delicate' mozzarella cheese (flown in two times a week from Italy!). And it was delicate. Which is a good thing. The light/delicate quality meant that I didn't feel too guilty about eating an entire plate of cheese.
We also had some salad (nothing to write home about) and a pizza with gorgonzola cheese on it, which was pretty amazing. I may order that the next time I go.


And yes, I will be going back!


The restaurant has this odd 'open air' concept, which annoyed me a bit (there's a never-ending fountain nearby), but aside from that, it was a good time. The servers were very friendly too.


If anyone wants to open up a competing Cheeseland, I would suggest focusing on cheese plates - served on wooden cheese boards! Perhaps all the appetizers be different cheese plates with suggested fruit and wine combinations.
And please, include cheesecake as a dessert!

2 comments:

  1. :O

    This is AMAZING! never heard of this until now! maybe we can try this with Mandz when we meet up?! we can do cheese and gelato. :P

    ps. Is this why you have a "cheese-related game" to tell me about?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! We should most definitely check this out.
    Cheese + gelato sounds like the perfect combination!
    (erm... that's a lie.)

    The Cheese-related game was developed when I was prepping to go to Cheeseland :)

    ReplyDelete